Reed A Prescott III

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"You Were Right Art....Kids do say the Darndest Things"

Art Linkletter had it right when he coined the phrase "Kids say the darnedest things" I know my kids have. I remember the time I was sitting on my couch with my youngest son, then 4, watching the winter Olympics when he turned to me and asked "How do you spell USA?"

To go through life with the perspective of a child would be interesting. Their sense of wonder and honest excitment for discovery is refreshing. We soon forget what it was like to notice that a cucumber structurally is just like a watermelon and find they are related. These little people are always thinking...

I heard a story once where a young boy was standing in line at the grocery store with his mom behind a really large man. This large man was too busy visiting with the clerk and putting groceries on the counter to notice the little boy. Then from the man's pocket came a ring... ring when his cell phone went off.

When the little boy heard this he got fidgety and said to his mom "watch it.... he's backing up"

One of my favorite personal stories was when my oldest son was around five years old. It was my wife's birthday and we had just come home from church which in our house means "Let the party begin" so I started this conversation with my son..

"Hey, do you know what today is?"

"Yea, it's Mommy's birthday!"

"That's right, 38 years ago today your mother was born...."

"She was born on her birthday!!!!! COOL!"

There are days when your kids are a challenge but we can learn alot by seeing the world through their eyes. I guess we keep them around for those moments when they brighten our day and make us smile....

Prescott Galleries

No comments: