Reed A Prescott III

Monday, May 10, 2010

" All I can do is be me... whoever that is"- Bob Dylan

My wife and I grew up listening to Bob Dylan so for Christmas one year our older son was excited when he found a poster the said "All I can do is be me, whoever that is" by Bob Dylan.

We should always seek what benefits us and our career.... whatever that is. Here is a conversation I had one day with another artist. I was painting at a resort when this man came up to me and introduced himself as a artist then started a conversation:

"Do you make a living doing this"

"Yes I have for the past 15 years"

"So, what shows do you do?"

"Well I don't really do shows"

"Then what Galleries carry your work"

"Well I don't really show at Galleries"

"If you don't do shows and don't show at galleries then how do you make a living"

"Let me ask you this? Do you do shows"

"Yes"

"Do you display at galleries?"

"Yes"

"Do you make a living?"

"No"

"Then why would I want to do that?"

As artists we pride ourselves with our creative approach to life. Yet when it come to business we are looking for a "turn key" system we can plug ourselves into. Life does not work that way. Not only is all art different but all persons creating that art are different. So the workable combinations can be endless. It is based on our personal strengths and experimentation to find the way that works best for us. A shy person could not do what I do any more than I could paint like Picasso.

Some people can write spiritual pieces backed with their art and build a following without even talking to a real person. Others crave that interaction with people and can use that to develop a contact and sale. Both are equally right.

So all you can do is be you..... whoever that is

Prescott Galleries

No comments: