Reed A Prescott III

Saturday, May 8, 2010

"First Step to Acheiving Any Goal- is to Set a Goal"



The first step in acheiving any goal ... is to set a goal. On some level this makes total sense ...just as it is. Yet how many people set goals- or at least set them properly. We are a people who if we are allowed to visualize a goal we are more likely to achieve that goal. We are all built this way.


If you want to see how many people own Volvo's- then buy a Volvo. If you want to see how many people are fixing up an old house- then buy a old house and start fixing it up. We are designed to be drawn towards sections of our community that have a similar experience to us. A need to be connected and feel like we are part of something bigger. It is this natural characteristic that allows us to achieve the goals we set.

A few years ago I saw a episode of Oprah that talked about "The Secret" where if you set a goal then the means to attain that goal would be drawn to you like a magnet. You set the goal to make $100,000 a year then "Poof" out of nowhere there it is.

My personal view is different from theirs. What I have learned is that opportunities are around us at all times. Until we identify what we are looking for, we let them pass. So even though I walk by Bob Smith every day, I am not aware of that until I say "I really need to talk to Bob Smith". Then we are amazed that Bob Smith just appears as if by magic.

Here are a few tips for goal setting.


1) First and foremost- write it down. This helps with visualizing and cements the goal within you.


2) It does not have to be reasonable if you can break it up into smaller- more obtainable goals that bring you closer to the larger goal


3) be specific as to how you will achieve this goal

4) then let go- loosen up when another unconsidered opportunity arises to help you achieve your goal. Remember the goal is more important than the path



5) enjoy taking the chances that arise from setting your goal. If the door opens don't let fear prevent you from walking through.


One day I decided I was sick of looking at a $500 bill that was overdue. I made a conscious decision that I was going to focus on getting that bill paid. I made my list of make that followup call to a patron, sell 5 prints, etc.... About 20 minutes after I made my list, the phone rang. It was a resort calling and then needed to order $500 worth of my note cards. Well this did not follow my plan.... but it worked.



No comments: